Update

Place of Interest

  • Hazarduari Museum
  • Imambara
  • Kathgola Gardens
  • Katra Masjid
  • Jahan Kosha Cannon
  • Motijheel Mosque and Cemetery

Hazarduari Museum


History

The enclosure where the palace is situated is known as Kila Nizamat or Nizamat Kila. The campus except this palace, has in addition the Nizamat Imambara, Wasif Manzil, the Bachhawali Tope, Murshidabad Clock Tower, three mosques out of which one is the Madina Mosque, and the Nawab Bahadur's Institution. Other buildings include residential quarters. It is situated on the east bank of the Bhagirathi River, which flows just beside it. The gap between the Bhagirathi's banks and the palace is just 40 feet (12 m); however, the foundations are laid very deep, which protect the palace. The palace is rectangular in plan (130 meters long and 61 meters broad) and is a good example of Indo-European architecture. The front facade of the palace, which has the grand staircase, faces north. This staircase is perhaps the biggest one in India. The palace has 1000 doors, of which 900 are false, and a total of 114 rooms. The wooden Nizamat Imambara built by Siraj ud-Daulah caught fire in 1846, so the present building was rebuilt within a year in 1848 by Nawab Nazim Feradun Jah of Bengal, Bihar and Orissa. This Imambara is the biggest one in India. More than rs6 lacs were spent for its cons.


About

The Hazarduari was also used as a residence by the Nawabs and by high-ranking British officials. Much of the palace is now a museum, which contains an impressive array of memorabilia from the days of the British Raj. The collection on the first floor and the ground floor is a merry mishmash of artefacts, from marble statues to oil paintings, crystal chandeliers, ivory and teak furniture, fossils, stuffed animals and other belongings dating back to the time of the Nawabs of Murshidabad. Spread across the Dining Room, the Landscape Gallery, the British Gallery, the Nawab Gallery, the Dewan Gallery, the Prince Gallery, the Committee Room, the Durbar Hall and about half-a-dozen other areas, the museum's display includes some truly interesting items, a cannon used at the fateful Battle of Plassey, royal thrones, howdahs of silver and ivory, palanquins, phaetons and even two cars, purchased way back in 1914. The second floor of the Hazarduari Palace Museum houses an equally interesting collection of about 12,000 books and 3,000 manuscripts, in Persian, English, Arabic and Urdu. The Nawabs may or may not have been of a literary bent of mind.

Others Information

Timing & Entry

Location: Murshidabad, West Bengal

Timings: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

Attractions:

The Indo-European architecture of the palace and the royal staircase add to the grandeur of the palace. River Bhagirathi flows besides the palace and the view looks stunning in the evening when the palace is beautifully illuminated. The main palace along with other structures including Nizamat Imambara, Murshidabad Clock Tower, Madina Mosque, Chawk Masjid and Zarud Mosques.

Imambara


History

The Nizamat Imambara is a Shia Muslim congregation hall in Murshidabad, India. The present Nizamat Imambara was built in 1847 AD by Nawab Nazim Mansur Ali Khan,. It was built after the old Imambara built by Nawab Siraj ud-Daulah was destroyed by the fires of 1842 and 1846. The new Imambara was built by in 1847 by Nawab Nazim Mansur Ali Khan under the supervision and direction of Sadeq Ali Khan just opposite the Hazarduari Palace at a cost of more than Rs. 6 lacs. The main entrance just parallel to the north face of the Hazarduari Palace faces south. The masons took only 11 months to finish the construction as in addition to their wages they also received food which allowed them to work day and night. The present Imambara is 680 feet long, however the breadths vary. The central block that has the Madina is 300 feet long. It had been built slightly some feet away from the site of the old building in north. The Imambara stands just opposite to the Hazarduari Palace and is situated just on the banks of the Bhagirathi River. The gap between the shores of the river and the west wall of the Imambara may be a few feet.


About

Murshidabad is a district in the state of West Bengal that is situated on the southern bank of the River Bhagirathi. It used to be the capital of undivided Bengal during the rule of the Mughals. The Nawabs of Bengal ruled this historical place for a long time. Many historical buildings with ancient architecture are a part of Murshidabad's history. Out of them, the most popular building is the Hazar Duari Palace and others are Moti Jhill and Muradbagh Palace. Murshidabad covers a land area of about 5,341 square km. Many agro-based industries including cotton and silk textiles are based here. Murshidabad has witnessed a great deal of Palace politics and treachery that led to the transfer of its control from the last independent Nawab, Siraj-ud-Daulah to the East India Company. This transfer was the result of a contract between the Company and the Nawabs in the year 1757 AD due to the defeat suffered by Siraj-ud-Daulah at the hands of the English troops. The Nawab was later on murdered as a part of the conspiracy between the company and MirJafar. It was after this battle, the East India Company shifted its capital to Calcutta and in the early eighteen

Others Information

Timing & Entry

Location: Murshidabad, West Bengal

Timings: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

Attractions:

The Indo-European architecture of the palace and the royal staircase add to the grandeur of the palace. River Bhagirathi flows besides the palace and the view looks stunning in the evening when the palace is beautifully illuminated. The main palace along with other structures including Nizamat Imambara, Murshidabad Clock Tower, Madina Mosque.

Kathgola Gardens


History

The last stop is the one of the post popular tourist spot of Murshidabad" the Kathgola Gardens. The complex was built by the late Rai Bahadur Lakshmipat Singh Dugar (1836-1888), one of the leading zamindars (landlords) and bankers of Bengal. It is because of several varieties of wood roses were grown in this garden, it was actually known as"Kath Golap Bagan" which is pronounced now as "Kath Gola Bagan". On entering the premises, the first thing which strikes the visitor is the entrance gate itself. Adorned with Corinthian pillars, lion statues, stucco floral design, the gate is surmounted with a beautiful Nahabat Khana adorned with colorful stained glasses. Walking through a boulevard the visitor approaches the Ticket counter. The entrance fees to the garden is Rs 10/-. There is an official guide who takes you around telling the tales. The tour starts with an exquisitely designed step well on the left with a lion statue, which was renovated in 2007 -08 . A marble statue of a man in a relaxed position can be seen besides it. Just opposite to the step well is an run down enclosure with yet another lion statue at the entrance.


About

The beautiful Adinath Jain Temple is built within the total area of Kathgola Palace. There is beautiful architecture made in white stone in the temple. The Adinath Temple was built in 1793 by Harreck Chand. It is about half a km South-East of Mahimapur. Though some of its glory has been lost, it still remains a major tourist attraction, chiefly because of the beautiful temple with an admirable work of stucco. The main idol inside the Adinath Temple is that of Adinath. It is shown sitting in the lotus posture. Lord Rishabha is also worshipped in Kathgola and surrounding areas of Murshidabad. All the tirthankaras and worshipped by Jains. The temple has an onion shaped dome which creates an identity in respect of the temple at Adinath. There are good ghats in and around the Kathgola palace around the pond. The pond had a lot of fishes. Whenever the fishes died they were buried elsewhere. There are white constructions in the shapes of fishes which showed that the fishes were never buried. There are other hindu temples in the premises of Kathgola Palace. The hindu temples included Hanuman temple and Ganesha emple. The architecture in the temples also showed white structure.

Others Information

Timing & Entry

Location: Murshidabad, West Bengal

Timings: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

Attractions:

Kathgola Gardens is large complex which encompasses the Kathgola Palace, the surrounding Kathgola Gardens, Dadabari step-well, Zenana Mahal and the Adinatha Temple which also known as the Kathgola Temple. The complex was built by the late Rai Bahadur Lakshmipat Singh Dugar. The architecture and interior work of the main palace are worth of visit.

Katra Masjid


History

Build within a span of two years (1723-24), Katra Masjid brandishes two giant towers. Originally there were four of them; two towers got destroyed in an earthquake. Much earlier one could get up the stairs of the towers, but now the doors to the towers are closed. The towers had domes like the mosque. Only two domes of the original four domes of the mosque exist. The structure was severely damaged by the earthquake of 1897. There are five doors to the Katra Masjid. As mentioned earlier, there are triple Mihrabs on the walls of the mosque facing each door. Above the central triple Mihrab, there is an inscription in Arabic which says "La-l-la-ha illallah".. Muhammad ur-Rasool-Allah". This means "There is no god except Allah and Muhammad is his prophet". There is a small stairs leading to a small platform to the right (of viewer) of the central triple Mihrab. This is the Minbar where sermons and speeches are given. In many mosques of Pandua at Malda, the Minbar is a raised platform made of basalt stone with quite a number of stairs which looks like a stone throne. There is a basalt slab on the top of the outer wall of the mosque above the mid.


About

It is a beautiful structure and does not take much time to roam around it. ASI have done a good job to mention the history of these places on boards. It avoids the need of getting fleeced by locals in the name of guides. This is historical space. Now no one can pray here. Because This took by archeology servey if India department so they band for namaz. Traveling on the same road bypassing mango orchards one can reach an important landmark of Murshidabad, ' The Katra Masjid '. Talking of Murshidabad Mangoes reminds the Nawabi era when team of researchers and mango specialists were employed to produce unique varieties of Mango. Abbas Bhai mentioned that urbanization has resulted in demolition of many orchards at Murshidabd, which has resulted in vanishing of some varieties. Katra Masjid is an important monument as it was the centre for Islamic learning and spread of the religion in this former Hindu and Buddhist dominated region. Its now being reconstructed by ASI. The place is well maintained. the masjid is a scenic beauty..actually its a masjid build on nawab murshid kuli kha's tomb...beautiful architecture....the is the place i loved most in murshidabad.

Others Information

Timing & Entry

Location: Murshidabad, West Bengal

Timings: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, (Closed on Fridays)

Features :

Kathgola Gardens is large complex which encompasses the Kathgola Palace, the surrounding Kathgola Gardens, Dadabari step-well, Zenana Mahal and the Adinatha Temple which also known as the Kathgola Temple.

Jahan Kosha Cannon


History

Jahan Kosha Cannon (also known as the Great Gun) literally means the Destroyer of the World. It is placed in the Topekhana a quarter of mile to the south east of the Katra Mosque, in the town of Murshidabad, West Bengal, India. Topekhana was the Nawab's Artillery Park and the entrance gate of the old capital of Bengal, Bihar and Orissa, the city of Jahangir Nagar. It is protected on the east by the Gobra Nala, locally known as the Katra Jheel. Here the Jahan Kosha Cannon is laid to rest. Earlier it rested on a carriage with wheels and was surrounded by the roots of a Peepal tree. Gradually this cannon was lifted four feet from the ground but the roots surrounded it so beautifully that it has no chance of falling down. Many people were astonished to see the big and heavy cannon hanging at a height of 4 feet. Later it was free from the tree's roots. The wheels have is disappeared but the iron works of the carriage and the trunnions are still visible. The cannon made of ashtadahatu or 8 metals, namely silver, gold, lead, copper, zinc, tin, iron and mercury. An old photo of the cannon, when it was lifted 4 feet high by the roots of a Peepal tree.


About

The cannon is more than 7 tons heavy. It is 17 feet and 6 inches in long and 3 feet in width, it has a girth of 5 feet at the touch hole end. The circumference of its mouth is more than one feet. The radius of the silt for containing fire is one and a half inch. In order to fire this cannon, 17 kilograms of gunpowder was needed for a single shelling. The orifice is 6 inches. It still shows no sign of rust. This grand cannon was made by Janardan Karmakar, Karmakars were often blacksmiths but he was a gunsmith. He made it under the instructions of Daroga Shree Mohammad and under the supervision of Hara Ballav Das in 1637 AD. He was from Dacca. The cannon was named in Dacca, when Shah Jahan was the Mughal emperor at the instance Islam Khan was the Subahdar of Bengal. It has been confirmed by an inscription engraved on it. However, the cannon has several other names like the "Great Gun", the "Destroyer of the world", the "Conqueror of the universe", the "World Sub-duer" and so on.

Others Information

Timing & Entry

Location: Murshidabad, West Bengal

Timings: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

Features :

Kathgola Gardens is large complex which encompasses the Kathgola Palace, the surrounding Kathgola Gardens, Dadabari step-well, Zenana Mahal and the Adinatha Temple which also known as the Kathgola Temple.

Motijheel Mosque and Cemetery


History

Motijhil (also Motijheel, literal translation: Pearl Lake), also known as Company Bagh due to its association with the East India Company, is a horse-shoe shaped lake in Murshidabad, West Bengal, India. It was created by Nawazish Muhammad Khan, the son-in-law of Nawab Alivardi Khan. He also constructed a precious palatial palace beside this lake which is called the Sang-i- dalan (literal translation:stone palace) which is also known as the Motijhil Palace. It is located at the bend of this lake. It was used as the residence of Nawazish and Ghaseti Begum, Nawazish's beloved wife. It is said that after Nawazish died, Ghaseti Begum lived here until Nawab Siraj ud-Daulah took over the palace and seized humongous amount of treasures in 1756 AD. With this money he built a similar lake with a beautiful palace, Hirajheel, on the opposite side of the Bhagirathi River. The palace has a lofty gateway, a mosque known as the "Shahamat Jang" and the Kala Masjid and some other buildings which were all built by Nawazish. This palace was built in 1740. As far as etymology is concerned, the palace has been named so as it was built using black basalt pillars.


About

There are several myths about Motijheel too, but pictorially it has nothing much to offer. In recent times an Eco Park named (Mothijheel Park) has come out in the vicinity. If a general tourist interested to visit the Eco Park, then only going to Motijheel is justified. Otherwise if one is not inclined towards history no point coming here. The widow of Nawazish Muhammad Khan, Ghaseti Begum lived after his husband's death. Later in 1756, Siraj ransacked this palace and took away many valuables. He later built a palace named Hira Jheel on the other side of Bhagirathi. Nothing remains of Hirajheel Palace at present too. After Mir Jafar became Nawab, he built a palace named (Baraduary) (Palace with twelve doors). In 1765, Robert Clive stayed in that mansion for six days during negotiating with the Nawab for getting the Dewani transferred to East India Company. It was even the home of Warrren Hastings in 1771-73 when he was political resident at the Durbar of the Nawab Nazim. Moti Jheel is also known as Company Bagh, as it was occupied by E.I.C.

Others Information

Timing & Entry

Location: Murshidabad, West Bengal

Timings: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

Features :

Kathgola Gardens is large complex which encompasses the Kathgola Palace, the surrounding Kathgola Gardens, Dadabari step-well, Zenana Mahal and the Adinatha Temple which also known as the Kathgola Temple.